There are only 2 types of builders, Registered Builders and Owner Builders, there is NO category called renovator.

So when renovating, if a registered builder is not employed, then it is an Owner Builder project and the homeowner has now become an Owner Builder and is responsible for obtaining Insurance to protect the renovation and existing home.

Home and contents insurance policies will, usually, cover the homeowner for a limited amount of renovation work. But there are clear limits to what a policy will let you do. There is one simple rule, always and in all circumstances, is check with your home and contents insurance provider BEFORE you start work.

The cover comprises two parts- Material Damage – Protects the Owner Builder for losses caused by fire, theft, burglary, vandalism, flood, cyclone, storm, wind and Water damage.

Public Liability – Protects the Owner Builder from third party Injury and Property damage. E.g if a tree falls through the fence onto your neighbour’s car due to the roots being exposed because of your construction project.

When purchasing Owner Builder Construction and Public Liability Insurance, it is important to fully insure the project, if you and your friends can build it for $50 000 but a builders cost would be $100 000, you have underinsured.

Some Home and Contents policies exclude damage caused by Storm, Flood or water entering the building even Public Liability can be excluded, when renovating/extending.

To summarise what we suggest you do.

  • Check with a Building Surveyor even if it is a small project whether a Building Permit is needed.
  • Check with your Home and Contents Insurers whether they will cover your home and what exclusions are now in place. Get it in writing.
  • Fully insure the renovation/extension and the existing home and Contents with our Owner Builder Construction and Public Liability Insurance policy.
See our Quick Check Chart to know what you are covered for Click here

Policy Covers:

Fire Storm, Wind, Water and Flood Damage
Public Liability Third Party Property Damage
Theft Liability due to Negligence

Consider the Following Options:

Protect existing home and contents Already started – commenced works
Materials stored off site for safe keeping Extendable policy period beyond 12 months
Licenced builder to lock up options Qld is covered

Automatically Covered at NO additional premium:

Sub-contractor liability protection $5,000 tools cover
Removal of Debris (10% of sum insured) Worker to worker protection
Professional Fees (10% of sum insured) Expediting Expenses (10% of sum insured)
Increased cost of works (10% of sum insured) Goods in Transit $50,000
Prime Cost items included Mitigation Expenses (10% of sum insured)
Restoration of Records (5% of sum insured) Temporary Protection (5% of sum insured)
Goods in storage cover $50,000 Automatic allowance for excavations for up to 5 meters
Property in your Care, Custody and Control

Why choose AOBIS?

Low excess available Cover QLD
Vibration, removal or weakening of supports and/or underpinning covered Injury to contractor/sub-contractor/labour hire covered
Demystifying insurance and protecting you, the owner builder Fast and client focussed claims management
We cover new homes, renovations and extensions, alterations and additions, commenced works, builder to lock up, kit homes and mud brick homes Heritage in Owner Builder since 1996 exclusively building and renovation


Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to our FAQs section, we have answered your questions here.
If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for? Get in touch with us.


Latest Blog Articles

Have any question or need any Consultation?