Is your neighbour covered in Victoria?

In Owner Builder Latest News by G G

Is your neighbour covered in Victoria?

Adjoining Property

What would happen if cracks appeared in your neighbour’s wall 8 months after the Occupation Certificate was issued?

Would you be responsible?

Your Home and Contents would treat the claim as building related and therefore NOT their responsibility, where would that leave you?

In Victoria, for example, Part 7 of the Building Act outlines the protection of adjoining properties requirements.  And in particular S93 requires the owner builder to provide a contract of insurance, against damage to the adjoining property for a period of 12 months after the building work is completed.

The AOBIS policy covers you,  others don’t, please be very careful if you select another insurer as they may not cover you in the event of a claim.

Another AOBIS iniative.